SharksWithLasers -- Seth Cooper

A CUTTING-EDGE BLOG FOR THE WORLD OF THE 21st CENTURY, Currently operated by Seth L. Cooper, a 27 year-old attorney in Seattle (sethlcooper at comcast dot net)

Friday, July 15, 2005

A NIGHT AT THE BALLKPARK. Tonight I saw the Mariners lose to the Baltimore Orioles. The team is nowhere near contention, but they do have a solid right fielder in Ichiro, plus some solid guys at the corners--Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson. Of course, Beltre hasn't put up the numbers I would like to see. Sexson blasted a clear and convincing homerun in tonight's game.

The evening's highlight was Rafael Palmeiro's 3000th career hit. Palmerio hit an RBI double, and time was called for his teammates to congratulate him at second. The Seattle crowd gave Palmeiro a warm standing ovation. It's not everyday that one sees a long-standing star reach a milestone like that. Palmeiro is now part of an exlcusive group of players who have hit 500 homers and collected 3,000 hits. Later in the game, Palmeiro came through with basehit 3001.

I am glad that I was able to see shortstop Mike Morse and the Aussie leftfielder Chris Snelling both play for the Mariners for the first time. Morse appears to have it together at the plate, after little more than 100 at-bats in the bigs. Snelling definitely has talent, putting up good numbers at Tacoma this year. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and make some good contributions.

Unfortunately, there just wasn't good enough hitting or good enough pitching. At least the D proved solid. But now that all these young guys are called up to the big team, just who is left at Tacoma? I had been planning on catching a game down there this season...

(North Seattle--Green Lake, WA)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    I just cant bring myself to spend money on the Mariners...I can watch them lose for free from my couch watching my big screen.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Coop said…

    I see your point, but for those of us who were true fans and toughed it out through the bad old days--er, bad old years--seeing them lose at Safeco isn't all that bad.

    And fortunately for me, the ticket was a gift and didn't cost anything. The only thing I purchased was a ridculously overpriced Mac & Jack.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    Ha! Mac and Jack is my favorite!

    Yeah, I have never been a fan of the Seattle teams. My mom's family comes from Texas, and I lived their as a little child...and have spent some time down there as I grew up. I always have been a huge fan of the Texas Rangers. So, Texas is where its at for me! I could care less about the Mariners, the Seahawks or the Sonics...who wants to watch a losing team?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home