SharksWithLasers -- Seth Cooper

A CUTTING-EDGE BLOG FOR THE WORLD OF THE 21st CENTURY, Currently operated by Seth L. Cooper, a 27 year-old attorney in Seattle (sethlcooper at comcast dot net)

Friday, July 08, 2005

FANTASTIC FLOP? TRY BATMAN. Jonathan V. Last's latest, "Battle of the Stars" (Daily Standard) provides us with the best quote of the day. Last discussing the new movie Fantastic Four:

FANTASTIC FOUR is superficial and stupid, the type of movie which bludgeons your intellect, your id, and your patience.

Ouch. Last goes so far as to proclaim an early-90s B-movie version of FF superior to than the new Hollywood release. After this stinging review, I'll be glad to save my money and avoid the theater. The Thing looked rather ridiculous in the movie previews for this new movie, anyway. Of course, every now and again I consent to see a lousy movie on DVD rental. So I can keep this in mind for that. (I've still not seen Battlefield Earth!)

That all being said, I have almost nothing but good things to say about Batman Begins. It was a relatively dark take on the Caped Crusader, but edgy and interesting. We're talking about a comic book movie, as we all know, but this film works. The story and action came though, avoiding a high cheeseball ranking. Sometimes having high-powered stars in supporting roles can be distracting--but that wasn't the case with Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman. Mild spoiler warning: I didn't quite buy Katie Holmes as the prosecutor. She looked too young to be a prosecutor BEFORE Bruce Wayne took off on a seven-year, self-imposed exile. This latest incarnation of Batman didn't have the quirky sense of humor from the Keaton-Nicholson-Burton film from a dozen years ago. But it was entertaining in its own right, as a new interpretation of the Batman legend. I plan on buying it on DVD.

One good comic book movie a summer is all that I ask. I'm going to pass on FF, but BB delivered the goods.

(Downtown Seattle, WA)

10 Comments:

  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    hmm...really? Well....while I am sure the review is correct on FF...there is just no way that I will be able to pass on a movie that stars Julian MacMahon(sp.)..who plays the villian and is also the incredibly to die for gorgeous doctor on Nip/Tick....so no matter how stupid this movie may be, I will gladly pay 8.00 to sit for 2 hours and stare at some delicious eye candy.

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger Coop said…

    I guess I don't follow the supermarket checkout stand magazines enough, because I haven't the faintest idea who this Julian guy is. And so is this guy playing Dr. Doom? As in Dr. Victor van Doom? I never thought of that supervillain being an attractive guy. Go figure.

    There isn't a single celeb, living or dead, that I would ever pay $8 just to see--but hey, this is America.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    hahahaha!!! I see what you are saying. But I am from Centralia...and we are hard up for attractive guys here.....Its a city full of hicks...which means...I am bored! So if hollywood is the best eye candy I get until I move up..then Im ok with that.

    Julian MacMahon is the villian...and I couldnt care if he was playing the janitor...he is just great to look at.

    For the moment, I will get my kicks however I can...Centralia is one boring town!

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Coop said…

    Centralia is a town that I do not know very well, as I only recall being there once. It was for baseball game when I was 19. If not mistaken, I rode the bench during that one.

    For the sake of accuracy, I must correct myself: the full name of Dr. Doom is Victor VON Doom. I just wanted to get my nerdly facts straight.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    ha! thats good to know..I wouldnt want to go around quoting the wrong villian name!

    What highschool did you go to, if you played against Centralia? I think you are a few years older than me....and when I got to highschool they changed our school division, so we played against weaker teams...Centralia..sucks.

    Thats why I went to college in highschool...I couldnt stand our highschool...the only thing they were proud about there was that we had the first on campus full time day care program for knocked up teenage moms...we had a high drop out rate, but by golly we had good day care.

    I dont know why anyone would want to come to Centralia...its a vortex..right when you get out...it sucks you right back in.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Coop said…

    Though my memory is a bit hazy on this, I believe I was in Centralia as a college freshman for a game against Centralia CC. Cira nineteen-hundred and ninety-seven, A.D. From the long, long ago. In the before times...

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    ha! I wasnt even out of highschool yet! close though. I actually went to CC through running start. I probably watched you sit the bench, as I went to many basketball games there.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Coop said…

    The sport was BASEBALL, not hoops.

    I would post a picture of me throwing a fireball from the mound, but the comment section is not that sophisticated. And I'm not about to turn my blog into a self-dedicated sports shrine--despite my all-too-typical, manly inclination to brag about my rather modest accomplishments in sports.

    One of the sad realities that comes with being a baseball pitcher is that you can spend an eternity sitting on the bench between outings. Maybe that's why my last season was, in fact, at age 19. Or maybe, if you're accurate in your depiction of Centralia, I was so demoralized by my visit to the city that on a subconscious level I lost all will to play...

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger (Doxxiegirl) said…

    hahah! I think it was definitely that last part...Centralia is so depressing..it could kill your will to do just about anything.

    Sorry...I got Basketball stuck in my head...never went to Baseball games..had my fill of those watching my brother play since he was 5...

    Ok...I went and saw Fantastic Four tonight....and guess what...FF was Fantastically.....LAME.

    It had some good eye candy and some cheezy keep your attention action scenes, but other than that....it was boring. You can pretty much tell if a movie will be good or bad based on the previews before hand..the previews sucked...so it had already set the tone for the movie.

    But hey...I took my homegirls out and we got to watch some crazy looking people make out during the movie...thats what 7.00 gets ya in centralia.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This aint about no high school game or some crap. This is just straight foward disdain. Centralia is the lamest craphole on the I5 corridore. It should be nuked of the map. I hate Sh*^%tralia to the max.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home