SharksWithLasers -- Seth Cooper

A CUTTING-EDGE BLOG FOR THE WORLD OF THE 21st CENTURY, Currently operated by Seth L. Cooper, a 27 year-old attorney in Seattle (sethlcooper at comcast dot net)

Friday, March 25, 2005

ROID OUTRAGE TO KEEP SLUGGERS FROM COOPERSTOWN? There’s an interesting Sports Illustrated article, available online, discussing the respective chances of Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire making it into the Baseball Hall of Fame, in wake of Major League Baseball’s steroids scandal.

As the article notes that HOF candidates require seventy-five percent of the vote for election to Cooperstown. According to the survey of writers mentioned in the article:

McGwire got just 55.6 percent support from those who gave a yes/no response, while Bonds was at 80.8 percent.


Perhaps the fact that Bonds career is still continuing and the additional fact that McGwire’s retirement was relatively recent, I had not thought about the impact the roid revelations would have on possible steroid-using sluggers’ chances of making the HOF.

What I consider to be one of the most prescient comments on this matter comes from Joe Posnanski of the Kansas City Star:

We're too close to this thing to get a good feel of it. I was marching in that parade in 1998, when Mark McGwire hit 70 homers and was the great American hero. Back then nobody wanted to hear about andro or steroids or any of that. Forget Hall of Fame, he could have been a senator. Now, we're in the middle of this steroids mess, there are new rumors all the time, and McGwire is getting beaten up everywhere you turn. I think we need some distance.


By the way, on a different but baseball-related note, I had another baseball dream the other night. I had somehow transported back in time to the mid-1960s and was watching a Cincinnati Reds' game, with now-Hall of Famer catcher Johnny Bench at the plate. Perhaps I was thinking about my July trip to the Cincinnati area. Incidentally, I look forward to seeing their new stadium. I've seen a couple games at old Riverfront--which was nothing too spectacular--and so I expect something good.

(North Seattle--Green Lake, WA)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home