SharksWithLasers -- Seth Cooper

A CUTTING-EDGE BLOG FOR THE WORLD OF THE 21st CENTURY, Currently operated by Seth L. Cooper, a 27 year-old attorney in Seattle (sethlcooper at comcast dot net)

Monday, April 12, 2004

CHECKING IN: At present, I find myself in some small, homey but loud little pizzaria in Montgomery, Alabama. Despite my persistent use of napkins, my fingers spread grease all over the keys of the company laptop. This is my first time using Wi-Fi in an establishment. But I'm quick to use this thing, as I'm the only one with a computer and don't want to appear totally rude and unsocial to these fine Southern folk.

Montgomery is an interesting place. Its a city steeped in Confederate history, while simultaneously the birthplace of much of the Civil Rights Movement. One can find the first "White House" of the Confederacy--occupied by Jefferson Davis--within walking distance from the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church--where Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. preached and began the famous bus boycott.

As always, I took my dear sweet time to walk through a new state capitol. The old capitol building far outshines the one used present. The old is used as a tourist attraction, preserved for visitors. Despite the uses to which that building had, at times, been put, it has much more of a soul to it than the current building.

Of course, I could not resist the urge to visit the Alabama Supreme Court building, the former home to the giant granite monument of the 10 Commandments and other items. There is no sign of the monmument now, save for a display put up by citizens on a wall, featuring the 10 Commandments among such other foundations to our legal system as the the Code of Justinian, the Magna Carta, the Mayflower Compact, and the Declaration of Independence.

And it sure is muggy down here!

(Montgomery, AL)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home